As an affiliate, I may earn a commission from purchases made through the links on this page.
One of the Humminbird piranhamax fish finder series that came to the limelight in 2016 is the Humminbird piranhamax 4 di. Its manufacturers made it to provide anglers with 2D and Di imaging without using GPS or navigation-related features. It’s a perfect replacer of piranhamax 197c Di because of the improved features like a wider screen and greater pixel matrix. Read this article to understand more about hummingbird piranhamax 4 Di. We’ll look at its specs or features and both its advantages and disadvantages. Through this piranhamax 4 di review, you’ll also be able to make an informed decision about this fish finder.
- Dual-beamsonar which helps you see objects like fish and vegetation underwater.
- Down imaging which enables you to have a clear view of underneath your vessel.
- Tilt and swivels mount making it possible to adjust your viewing area angle.
- A 4.3 inches screen color LCD.
Humminbird Piranhamax 4 Di quick review
|Humminbird piranhamax 4 Di
|Dual beam, Di
|3.6 by 3.9 by 6.8 inches
|Display- size, color, and resolution
|4.3’’256-color TFT display,480 by 272, LED backlight
|XNT 9DI T
|Down imaging-320 ft-2D600ft
|2D-200 and 455kHz-Di 455kHz
|You will find a Humminbird piranhamax 4 di, an XNT9 DI T transducer, and a tilt/swivel mount.
- It’s portable, allowing you to carry it with ease. So you can take it for your fishing trips without big boats. Since it has a carry case carrying it will be much easier too. Humminbird piranhamax 4 Di transducer and battery are also easy to move around with.
- It’s easy to use. You will also have an easy time reading or using its screen. Since this device alarm is customizable, you can set it off under certain conditions improving its convenience. Zooming its screen to see specific spots is also possible, which allows you have a better fishing experience.
- It has a better display since it consists of a colored display with an LED backlight. This, together with the pixels, offers great readability regardless of the weather.
- Durability; this device is strong enough to last longer. Another thing that makes it durable is the waterproof feature that makes it stand exposure to water.
- It’s also affordable, which makes it the best choice if you’re on a tight budget. Remember, this is the cheapest fish finder with great features that beats some of the expensive brands.
- It has two sonars.
- It allows you to use one sonar at a time because the 2D sonar is a dualbeam and not a dual-beam plus.
- It doesn’t include chirp, sonar, or Wi-Fi. So, you can’t update software or track objects at higher speeds and deeper depths.
- It has no unit cover.
Humminbird Piranhamax 4 Di Features
Its display or screen
Humminbird piranhamax 4 di screen display
Piranhamax 4 di has a 4.3 color display screen with a pixel matrix of 480 by 272. It also has a LED backlight which allows you to use it any time regardless of the weather condition. Since it doesn’t have a touchscreen, you’ll have to control the display using the buttons. It also doesn’t include the split-screen feature, which doesn’t allow you to read different data simultaneously.
However, if you want to change the display of this device, you can make good use of the zoom function and read the screen with ease. You can also make good use of the contrast feature in the hummingbird 4 di settings and set a clearer distinction between the lighter and darker parts of the sonar. Alternatively, you can use the Whiteline function setup that helps in replacing one of the colors with white, resulting in stark contrast.
Having an IPX7 waterproof can withstand rain, water splashes, and you can immerse it 3.3 feet underwater for 30 minutes. But ensure you protect it against dirt and dust for it to last longer.
Sonar and transducer
This device consists of an XNT9 DI T transducer that has a transom mount. It also contains a temperature sensor. It includes both 2D and down imaging sonars.
You’ll see 18 degrees wide,455kHz cone for clear bottom imaging with the dual-beam sonar while 28 degrees wide 200kHz cone. Although it doesn’t give better coverage, it helps you scan images underwater like structures and fish. Remember this device allows you to use one beam at ago.
The Di sonar uses a thinner, wider angled beam of 75 degrees for 455, and it’s the only channel. It includes a 2.5″ target separation, although with no chirp technology. This sonar is best for looking at underwater structures while also differentiating between fish and vegetation. Hitting 50kHz with this small device is never easy since it has limited reach.
The maximum depth of this device is 320 feet for Di, and the 2D is 600 feet. But you can get accurate readings at around 30MPH, although its manufacturer suggests a speed of between 1 and 6MPH for better results.
Since this device doesn’t have NMEA ports, microSD card slots, and ethernet capabilities, it can’t connect with other devices. This means that this unit doesn’t offer any traditional options.
The alarm features
One reason you opt for a fish finder while out in the water is to maximize your catch. However, not every day is agood day in water since you can spend hours looking for fish in vain. After such frustrations, you may lose focus and attention and miss seeing some passing fish in the long run. But with Humminbird piranhamax 4 di setup that consists of three alarms, you can redeem yourself. The fish alarm will ring when the Humminbird piranhamax 4 di transducer identifies a fish. To hear this alarm sound ensure you set it at a preferred volume so that it doesn’t ring unnoticed.
This device also has a depth alarm which helps you know when your vessel hits a certain depth. The last alarm on this unit which you can set at will, is the battery alarm. It sounds when your fish finder’s power is below the recommended percentage.
If you want to know how this device works before buying it watch this video below on live testing and learn more.
Although Humminbird piranhamax 4 di is a small unit, it performs better than some expensive fish finders. It’s ideal for casual fishing in smaller boats since it doesn’t include a splitscreen. The advantage of selecting this device apart from its affordability is that it comes with a transducer not to buy it separately. Its also easy to use, read and install, making it the best choice of fish finder with down imaging technology. You can check the latest price here on Amazon!